I've been looking for newer and more intense yoga sessions to try out. Sis has been telling me about the Bikram Yoga sessions that she goes to, and as with everything else that she tries, I wanted to try this one too. Bikram Yoga is a specific sequence of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Each posture is held for a long time, typically half a minute or a full minute. The entire sequence takes about 90 minutes, and is practiced in a studio heated to about 40 degree Celsius and 95% humidity.

This was the first time I tried Bikram Yoga, and though I was very enthusiastic about it last night, I began to have slight misgivings in the car. After all, 7am is core sleep time for me, and here I was, dressed up and speeding towards a superheated(feels like!) studio to pull and stretch. Phew.

It was really amazing to see how many people were willing to torture their bodies for fitness. Most were dressed in just speedos or shorts. In comparison, I was dressed like a bridegroom. Track pants and t-shirt and all. Well, they knew what to expect and I didn't. We proceeded to sign up for the session. I got a wholesome student discount for 10 sessions(after the lady at the reception had incorrectly identified me as Sis's husband. As is my wont everywhere). The receptionist/instructor seemed a tad too enthusiastic for someone who woke up at 6 am on a Sunday. You know the type:

Situation: Dust-filled room with all possible allergens in the air.
You: Ahhhhhchooo!!
She: OMG!! you have a fantastic sense of humor!! ROTFL!! The perfect person to have around on a weekend morning!!
You: What the heck!!(to yourself).

Entered the heated yoga studio. All eyes were focused on the overdressed newbie. I could see them all in the mirror, grinning at me. I just pretended to ignore them all(what more could I do!!). A few minutes later, the instructor entered the room. All her sense of humor was gone, I noticed. She started us out on the pranayams. Told us to do it with a smile on the face. Instantly, there was a wide smile on my face(Cakewalk, I was thinking). The regulars were smirking(Newbie, they were all thinking).

Then the instructor started us on the stretches.The stretches were nothing new - I had done them all before. But at a rate of a few thousand per second. I really started feeling the stretches and bends when they were held for a long time. Muscles that were dormant for the past decade or so started waking up, screaming in agony. I broke out into a flushing sweat. I broke each posture atleast a couple of times, wiping the sweat off my face(useless, for it came right back). By the first interval, I was already in curse mode, cursing Sis for telling me about this routine, cursing the sadistic instructor, cursing the Adonises who were grinning at me in the mirror. And of course, me, for waking up so early on Sunday to sweat and torture my poor body.

Yoga is supposed to increase energy levels and stamina. Soon into the second set, there was a soft thud. My hands had slipped and I had fallen face-first onto the mat. And I had no energy left in me to even sit up. My heart was threatening to stop if I did so much as inhale another breath. While I was contemplating this terrible deadlock, I heard the faraway voice of the instructor asking Sis whether her bro was alright. Sis nodded through giggles and her own gasps for breath while I stared morosely at the instructor. She told me to keep my head above the heart, but I was too muddled up to think. Ultimately I settled for a "heart inside ribcage" position. I am, nevertheless, proud to report that I missed only about 2 minutes of the 90-minute session.

The floor postures were relatively easier, but still taxed the elasticity limits of tendons and other things that made their presence known only recently. I suspected that the clock in the studio moved slowly, but my watch concurred with the wall clock. Sigh. I was one happy soul when the instructor finally left us in shavasana(an apt name for the posture. I was already a corpse. A sweating corpse). A few minutes later, I picked myself up to follow Sis out of the door. Every single joint was quivering.

Back home, Sis advised me to "listen" to my body. I am - my body is wailing. But one thing is for sure - I'm going back for more. I just love challenges, and I'm sure my body will rise up to the challenge in no time. If you're enthusiastic about Yoga, do try this out. Meanwhile, I'll go and lick my Yoga injuries.

Replies to comments may be a little delayed. Even my fingertips are sore.

4 comments:

Thanks for posting this, that’s what people should do – 'listen to our body'. I always try to practice that, as soon as the body say something, i'll listen, else chances are that the body will start speaking in louder voices and others will overhear which is a big embarrassment.

@Santhosh: That was a good one, he he.. I too try to listen to my body, but most of the times it's too demanding.. ;)

Ha ha aha ha!!! The temperature conditions r best suited for hyd!! :P :P u shud hav told me abt this earlier... My yoga classes were hilarious too!! v used to have these meditation classes after those asanas.. I used to wait for those as that was the only time i could practise "sleeping when seated" that were v helpful in the coll ;)

@Divya: In hyd, this yoga will feel air-conditioned, compared to the outside environment :D Your yoga classes sound hilarious, do blog about them sometime!!

Me..

Aspiring computer scientist. Aspiring writer. Aspiring Nat Geo traveler. Aspiring musician. Aspiring pilot. Aspiring chef. Yes, I'm constantly growing up.

Hits..

Friends of this blog