Embarrassments seem to follow me around. Most of these situations are my doings – situations that I create out of my own naivety, stupidity or carelessness. I curse myself when I fall into such situations, but who do I blame when embarrassments are gifted by those around me!!

Case in point. Couple of years back, my uncle used to stay and work abroad. Aunt used to attend college in Bangalore, commuting to and from our home. She used to visit her in-laws place in Chennai every couple of months, and my cousin Deepak or I used to take turns and accompany her on the trip. Aunt is the jolly kind who has no qualms in coming down to our level and clowning around with us. Therefore, we used to take every chance to go with her on the trip and have loads of fun.

This particular trip happened during the summer vacations, and since both Deepak and I were free, both of us set out to Chennai with aunt. I even laughed at Mom when she cautioned us against all three stepping out of the house together (I clearly remember taunting Mom for her superstitious beliefs. Ayyo). We reached the station in time to find that the railways, in all its wisdom, had assigned two seats on one side of the aisle and the third on the other side. Deepak was already smirking when he saw me settling down on the lone seat across the aisle. He turned his attention quickly to the happenings on the platform, while I sat quietly and sulked. Aunt attempted to cheer me up, but nothing was working – I was sullen.

There was a Chennai maami sitting next to aunt, and aunt was being checked out keenly. Aunt had been to a friend’s wedding previous day, and had her hands anointed liberally with mehndi. She was also wearing some jewellery since she was going to her in-laws place. Maami put two and two together and was soon whispering into her husband’s ear. The husband looked grumpy, but after some skillful cajoling by maami, came to me and told me that maami would move over to where he was sitting, he would sit in my seat, and I could sit next to aunt. After some compulsion, I agreed, mumbling my thanks.

A few minutes after I had settled down, maami looked over and smiled at us. I smiled back. And then maami dropped the bombshell – “You are made for each other. How long ago did you get married?” Aunt and I looked at each other in shock and confusion, while Deepak burst out laughing. While aunt was, in between bouts of laughter, explaining the situation to maami, I was hoping that the floor of the compartment open up and swallow me up. Sadly, Indian Railways does not offer that facility on its trains.

2 comments:

How i wish i was there in the train!!!! Did u look old or ur aunt looked young?? shud b the latter .. I shud hav known :P :D

@Divya: Yes, I'm sure it was the latter!! :D

Me..

Aspiring computer scientist. Aspiring writer. Aspiring Nat Geo traveler. Aspiring musician. Aspiring pilot. Aspiring chef. Yes, I'm constantly growing up.

Hits..

Friends of this blog