There were a couple of posts brewing about my new shiny black iPod touch, violin, etc. but they will have to remain in the pipeline just yet. For, friendship day is here. Friendship day was never in the grand scheme of things. By never, I mean never. Therefore, justified that I did not even keep track of the comings and goings of Friendship day. But the triennial inundation of my gmail inbox has just taken place via orkut and facebook(not that I'm complaining. Far from it!!), and this time around, I'm compelled to write a post on it. In spite of my favourite hobby(procrastination), this post has to be started, completed and posted today itself, or else it has to wait for another year, I guess. So iPod and violin, we'll get to you e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y. Fret not.

Friendship day was a rage during school days. We planned for it weeks ahead. Filched money for cards and friendship bands(Kids nowadays are so lucky. Electronic cards and electronic friendship bands). I don't know about you, but I managed to make more enemies than friends each year on friendship day. Most of the reasons for this phenomenon were beyond my control. Once it was because I had totally forgotten the day(I'm very very bad with remembering occasions) and sauntered into school the day after, oblivious to the long glares flashing at me from all sides. Yes, I had forgotten to make the customary midnight calls(I hate the guy(or gal) who made up this stupid tradition of wishing people at midnight. When you could be snug and sleeping.). God knows how many friends-lists and best-friends-lists my name got struck of that time. I had to identify all offended parties(You know. Whoever scowled when they saw me) and pacify them. The effort took me most of the year until the next friendship day was here to catch me unawares.

The other reason was totally beyond my control. I did remember friendship day in advance and even got some friendship bands with money filched from Mom's secret stash. The nut who ran the fancy store was unable to give me friendship bands all in the same color, so I got bands in two different colors. Yeah you guessed it. People thought they were color-coded and I earned myself some fresh enemies. Phew. So much for all my efforts. Thankfully, soon after, all the guys grew up out of that phase(of celebrating Friendship Day, Left-handers' Day, Right-handers' day, etc). Of course, not many of the girls grew out of that phase. Tempers still fray over missed friendship day greetings, missed womens' day greetings, etc. Some smart guy came up with an idea to circumvent the irritated-female problem. Every "day" celebration was converted into a week-long celebration. You know, friendship week, womens' week, fools' week. Phew. Gave us some breathing time.

Personally, this concept of having a separate day to celebrate every single concept of life has never appealed to me. I find the whole idea so frivolous. The way I see it, I don't need a whole day to come by, just to appreciate the people in my life. I don't need a day to remind me of how drab the world would have been without left handers. I don't need a day to remind me of teachers who treated me as their favourite punching bag and smashed my knuckles to pulp. I don't need a day to remind me how valuable a role my cell-phone or laptop plays in my life. I think of, appreciate and thank God for all that every single day of my life.

But still, I know you're all yearning to hear it, so here goes !! (drums rolling)HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY!!

PS: Commenters earn an extra friendship band. Offer valid for a week only!!(Last-ditch attempt to get more silent readers to comment, tee hee :D)

2 comments:

oooopss!! Wel, even i agree that one need not have a spl day to appreciate ppl.. But coz most of them like this idea, frnds tend to contact us atleast on this day. And those who don't, give reasons exactly like yours telling tht this is all crap!! :)

@Divya: Am just bored by the tedium of having a separate day for everything.. Well, friends who need a reason like this to contact are.. hmmm.. plain lazy :) the ones who don't contact even on these days.. well, looks like they don't want to contact!!

Me..

Aspiring computer scientist. Aspiring writer. Aspiring Nat Geo traveler. Aspiring musician. Aspiring pilot. Aspiring chef. Yes, I'm constantly growing up.

Hits..

Friends of this blog